Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Our newest family member...

NO not another child...just yet! One is certainly enough at this point. We spontaneously went out and got a fur baby 3 weeks ago, a rescue dog. We called her Neyla (which means 'fulfilled wish').


 

We adopted her a week before Valentine's Day from a 'no kill' dog farm here in Scottsdale. She was on the 'E' list when Carrie rescued her just 2 weeks before we got her. I found her on the Humane Society website and we decided on a whim to go and see her.  Honestly, had we not chose her before we got there, we definitely would have after. She had the greatest tempermant of all the pups. We wheeled the stroller in and Neyla immediately came over and sniffed Blaze. I placed his little hand on the edge of the stroller and she leaned over and gave him a few licks then sat very purposefully next to him. In that moment she became ours!!! She even laid on my feet as I completed the paperwork to bring her home with us.


Neyla is a one year old, tri-color (white, gray and black) blue merle Catahoula Leopard Dog with ice blue eyes. Our Frankie girl was the same breed and so we thought we couldn't go wrong. And we were right...she has fit right into our little family and she will be a great companion for Blaze in the years to come.  She is full of puppy energy and loves to sneak things away with her... like our shoes, Blaze's socks and pretty much anything else she can get her teeth on. So far we have had only 2 casualties, my work shoes (it was time for a new pair anyway) and one of Blaze's little stuffed toys. Not too bad for a pound puppy.



From the moment we got her home she made it her home too and within hours was curled up on the couch asleep.  She sleeps in the bed between us every night and greets us with a big smile (yes a smile, she lifts her lip and shows her front teeth when she is really excited).  She used her doggy door right away and seems to really enjoy her big backyard...certainly no farm, but she doesn't have to share with anyone else.  She is such a joy to have around.  Our home just wasn't the same since we lost our 4-legged Frankie girl in August.  Neyla has so many similarities as Frankie (Gerry says she may just be Frankie reincarnated), but she also has a very different personality in many ways too.  She has helped to fill that void that has been sadly missing in our home since Frankie passed.  She certainly has not replaced our Frankie girl, but she is a wonderful addition to our little family.

 
 

We even took her into our local groomer and got her a pedicure (well just a cut and grinding no polish).  She is learning to walk well on a leash and next month we are taking her to a personal trainer here in Mesa to get her some real doggy training.  So much is new to her...the back seat of the truck, the vacuum, the pet store, etc.  It is fun watching her explore her new surroundings.  She has already figured out that if she nudges her electronic feeder with her nose she gets a little treat.  We can't put anything past her.  Even our wonderful Nanny is loving having her around during the day while we are at work.  Grandma and Papa took an immediate liking to her too, who wouldn't???  She is a real sweetheart.


 Now, if I can just keep her away from my shoes...


Print this post

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray for you guys! I know the feeling. After we lost both of our sweet Shelties I could only take it for about a month before I said "Let's get another dog!". Hope you're having fun with her...we should do a dog park trip together.

Kate said...

Adog in the house is such a blesing. She seems like a gem. Congratulations. I am so happy for all of you.

Johnny and Darren said...

The void left when a pet passes is hard to expain to those who do not have them in their lives.

So glad you have found Neyla, she looks adorable.

Greg, Rob and Our Little Girl. said...

What a pretty little girl. We are so happy that you found the perfect puppy. I remember those days when I rescued Riley. The chewing and the accidents but once she gave me that face I was over it. So happy for you. I love her eyes.

We hope our dogs will take to the baby as well as she is doing with Blaze.

Kerrie and Mark said...

She looks to have settled in immediately. She is georgeous!

Juliana said...

Hi guys! OK I spent some time blog stalking yesterday on your blog and some other great surrogacy blogs. I am SUPPOSED to be taking a MUCH needed break from the internet but I found your blog first and it led me to a bunch of others and gave me hope. I LOVE your pictures, your story and your sweet little baby. I a now following your blog. I would love to read more and email/talk with you guys. I am going to be leaving similiar comments on some of the blogs in your little circle so do not think I am spamming you guys lol I am just trying to get as much info as I can. I have an almost 22 month old son, and cannot get pregnant again due to health issues. We cannot afford surrogacy costs, but then my mom told me about a documentary on TV about surrogacy in India. My husband and I are hoping to start the process very soon-I am reaching out to all you guys in hopes of finding out as much information as possible! Here is my latest blog about my situation...http://blondeinablog.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-have-gone-off-deep-end.html

I am SO thankful to have found your blogs and others like it and am now following--pop on by and follow back if you would like or feel free to email me anytime survivorjewels@gmail.com

You guys have really given me hope...

Niels and Alexander said...

Hi Rhonda and Gerry,
I really look up to you, I mean I barely have time to dress myself properly and you guys are adding a pet already to your household! WOW! I know: it gets easier:)
We both would love to have a dog again in our house, but for now it's best to wait. Your new family member looks great!

FET Accompli said...

So sweet!! That picture of Neyla and Papa is priceless.

Intended Parents said...

Happy Birthday Gerry! Hope you have a fantastic day!

xo, The Birthday Girls (Tracy and Lila)

Doug and Bill said...

Love Neyla she's so beautiful. We just lost a 11 year old dog and a 16 year old cat in the past 16 months...our 12 year old black lab is hanging in there. As I said on someone else's blog, we are due for another puppy...well, actually a baby first but we can do both at once, right? Anyway, congrats on the canine companion. She looks like a fantastic addition to the family. And Blaze is soooooo cute. You guys really have it going on -- congrats!