Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 3- So Long Hiranandani

Saturday August 29, 2009

We spent the rest of Friday just basking in Blaze's glory. We kept looking at each other and just smiling at the little life that was ours. Our whole life as we knew it was no longer (it was better!!!). We are now both responsible for this little fella. We have to keep pinching ourselves to make sure we aren't dreaming. He is really here, he is real, he is our dream come true.

We realized a bit too late that the Avent bottle sterilizer and warmer that we lugged all the way from Arizona, can't be used with out a grounding plug in the hospital due to reduced power to the rooms even with a voltage regulator. So to make our lives easier Gerry decided to go down to the little shop on the ground floor of the hospital and purchase a two-in-one set. The shopkeeper was very proud to open the box and show it all completely to Gerry, and oh so happy when he purchased it. RS 6200, money well spent!! We decided that we will leave it for the Docs to lend out to future IP's, compliments of Blaze, since we can use ours when we return to the States and certainly won't be needing two. He also was able to pick up a few goodies for the new Mom as well (diet coke, potato chips and cookies) and smuggle them up to our room by schmoozing the security guard. Hiranandani Hospital doesn't allow outside food into the hospital at all, but sells the snacks in the gift shop, who wouldn't be tempted?.

We woke every 2 hours to continue Blaze's feedings and he continues to increase by the day. He is now up to a whopping 40ml's. He sleeps in the hospital bassinet which is identical to the one they use in the NICU, minus all the bells, whistles and wires attached to him.

Mommy is officially christened during the night by her little boy. With a squirt as big as a fountain. This is truly going to get some getting used too. Any hints from Mommy's with boys, I will surely take them. There must be an art to this?! Daddy gets it from the other end when Blaze is full of gas and lets out a fart right in his face during his 0130 diaper change. We get a good laugh tonight as we are getting used to our little guy and he is getting used to us fumbling away as we learn.

He truly is a great baby. He sleeps, eats, poops, pees, farts, hiccups, burps, and let's out an occasional cry that may last all of 60 seconds, when he is full of gas or hungry or needs to be changed. We are learning his cries, and his needs.

I am referring to 2 books we picked up for quick reference. One called Secrets of The Baby Whisperer (thanks Carrie Jo) and the other, Baby 411 (a package deal with our Baby Bargains Book). They have both been very helpful in identifying facial grimaces, tongue and body movements, what to do if's, and what to look for when's.

We made it through our first night, and Blaze made it quite easy for us. The next morning he gets his first sponge bath from the pretty little nurse. Lucky boy, Daddy says!

He gets a needle in his thigh (an antibiotic used as a prophylactic twice a day for 3 days) He really cries with that and Mommy and Daddy feel so bad. I suppose this is just a dry run for when he gets his vaccines when we return home.

Blaze's second visitor comes today. Amit (our friend and travel guy extraordinaire) comes to meet him for the first time. He of course sleeps through the entire visit. Blaze that is, not Amit! Everyone comments on how cute he is and what a good baby we have.

Dr. Soni stops by for a visit to check on all of us. Its such a pleasure to see her. She asks if Daddy is happy now and says she doesn't blame Gerry one bit, she knows how he must feel to be without his child by his side. She tells us she helped in getting Blaze sprung from the NICU by telling the Doc that I am a nurse and can care for Blaze and know what to look for (she has more confidence in me then I do). We are so grateful for all of her support and help.

Dr. Soni also personally asked us to write this for her as another couple staying at the hospital who also had their child via surrogacy had mentioned rumors that Dr. Soni would not be working with SI clients any longer due to some very recent issues with one couple and their surrogate. She said that these rumors are not true and that she will continue and is currently working with SI clients and that will not change in any way.

Late morning Dr. Mehta makes rounds. He has the sister take Blaze over to the window and checks out his coloring in the direct sunlight.

I ask him (more like plead) if we could be discharged today. Blaze is eating great, tolerating his feedings without any vomiting and I am able to continue to give him his medication if need be. He hesitates and says that he really would like him to stay one more night, but if we promise to return in the morning for his last antibiotic injection, he will grant the discharge. I am so happy I could just hug him. Gerry and I both thank him dearly for all his care he has provided Blaze.

A few hours of waiting for the doctors and nurses to get everything in order. Several forms to take to the admitting desk on the ground floor. A quick trip to the PRO (public relations office, also on the ground floor behind the admitting desk) to pick up a letter confirming the birth at the hospital that is required for the FFRO and the all important exit visa. And finally, payment of our bill of $550.00 USD (yes that included Blaze's NICU stay) and we are ready to go.

Dr. Yash and Dr. Sudhir happen to be leaving the clinic and since the VITS hotel is on their way they offer to take Blaze for his very first car ride.

Amit managed to get us transferred to a 1 bedroom suite after we realized the extra room will come in handy with our newest addition. They are beautiful and fully equipped to meet all our needs for the rest of our stay in Mumbai.

Have I mentioned what a Godsend Amit is...he totally rocks and SI is fortunate to have him assisting their clients. We are going to hit him up later in the stay for a few days away for rest and relaxation (well as much as you can get with a newborn) outside of Mumbai, possibly Goa.

Blaze it appears LOVES the car. Daddy held him tight in his arms in the backseat, as car seats in India are few and far between, while Dr. Yash drove ever so careful with our precious cargo.

We had to laugh when fireworks for the Ganesha celebrations went off right next to the car and I jumped, but Blaze didn't even skip a beat. He slept through the whole thing. We all agreed he is a true Mumbai baby.

Back at the VITS the guys at the hotel (our friendly bellboys) helped Gerry and I move all of our stuff from the single room to our new suite, while the Docs baby sat. I suppose that's the job of God Parent's.

We said our good-byes to both the Docs as we got settled into our new place we will call home for the next 16 days.

Print this post


Carrie Jo said...

So glad you guys are enjoying parenthood--and that you've used the book! That makes me so happy :) Hope you enjoy your stay at the VITS (now one of my homes-away-from-home) and get to bring your little guy home soon!

Chantelle & Cyndi our life said...

I am so gladf you are finally out of the hospital. I forgot about things being different in india and just assumed you would of been a free bird in 23 hours or less. I just can't get enough of blaze. I keep looking for more and more pics. You three are doing a fantastic job. Is kt still in the hospital? I know how excited you are to be in india, but I want you all to come home so we can meet that beautiful boy. Sounds like his temperment is like sabrina. We miss you so much. More than anticipated I guess. With love CC,J,&,X.

kristin said...

I can't get by how handsome my Brother is. He is so lovely..in a manly way!? haha. I love you both, and even though party times every three hours are around you, enjoy the beauty of having this blessing of life to raise and see become a wonderful, loving, man of great and gentle strength..(GENTLE strength Dad..Hes aloud to be gentle, in a strong way:)
Love your daughter.

The Millers said...

Hey hey,
As far as the peeing goes, I have heard of these things called pee pee tee pee's. They look like an upside down cone! I've never used them, but you never know!! You get to know when they're going to pee though, and you'll know what i mean when you see it........ take it from a mama of 3 boys!!
Much love,
the proud oldest sister!

Anonymous said...

Hold the new diaper over his peeper while removing the first one (or hold a cloth diaper or washcloth over it). I've had to use my hand a few times too to block errant pees!

What a pretty baby! You guys look like you are over the moon happy in all your pics. Very nice to see...


Bobby said...

Great post. We know the feeling, Sabrina's first two weeks were spent at the Ontario Marriot while we waited for clearance to leave...stay safe and come home soon!

jojo said...

he is an angel. congratulations you two. :)

Jackie said...

Great post and so thrilled to see that little Blaze is doing so well. He is a doll and I am so, so thrilled for you guys!


Amy said...

Great photos Rhonda! Josh and I are so happy for you and Gerry and so impressed that you're managing to keep up your blog! It's so interesting and also helpful to see what we (hopefully) have to look forward to!

Anita said...

He is just so, so, so beautiful. And you both look so happy; you deserve this happiness after your long journey. Say hello to the docs xx

Anonymous said...

Congrats congrats congrats! He is such a cutie~!

About the pee - I would open up the diaper, pull it back to get the cool air on the sensitive parts, then close it again for a minute while he peed, then change him. It *usually* worked, but welcome to mommyhood, you will be covered in many other liquids before long!


Gregg said...

I am so excited for you guys. That is one handsome fella. Love all the pictures and cannot wait till the 3 of you get home so we can hold him (well so "I" can).

Take care